Tuesday 22 October 2013

Promo Wednesday: Subject Lines


Promotional marketing emails can be interesting (5%).

Promotional marketing emails can be annoying (75%).

They can be uncomfortable (7%).

They can go directly to your spam folder and you’ll never know (8%).

They can fall into multiple categories (5%).

 

I'm often irritated by predictable, unimaginative Subject Lines which make me sad about subscribing to those emails in the first place. And sometimes I'm honestly captivated by novel, unusual lines which make me want to hear more. To read, click and play.

I’m subscribed to more than 50 different newsletters, from tiny companies to world-famous gigantic brands.

Every Wednesday I'll mention the Subject Lines that had me at hello, and the ones that went to my bin before you could say Jack Robinson.

So...This week I opened my eyes wider when I saw:

  • Why can't this guy find a girlfriend? 

     

  • Ask Me Anything 

     

  • I was scared to death... 

     

  • The busy girl's guide to beauty treats 

     

  • A Sneaky Peak At Christmas 


I found myself being very reactive to a more personal tone, and a subject line which doesn't immediately shout about special product or limited offer. Subject Line which takes time to intrigue me and guide inside the email.

Or is currently interesting to me because offers a solution because I am busy and I still want to be beautiful.

Also I opened my first email about Christmas (coming so late - it's the end of October already!) just for the sake of that special occasion.

Now, the most overused and banal lines around were:

  • Don’t miss out our bestsellers!  

    (Why should it matter to me what sells best for you? It’s a pure peer pressure and most people are smart enough to recognize it.) 
  • An exclusive new shade

    (Sometimes I'm just in this humanly mood for something simple, common and casual, please?) 
  • Offer extended!  

    (Oh wow! Just I haven’t been intrigued by the Original Offer anyways...) 
  • Mastering Monochrome 

    (Monochrome trend is around for over half a year now.. And by now, I feel I’m almost an expert myself!) 
  • End Today!  

    (and oh, thanks God!) 
That's it for now.

I can't wait to know, which emails tickled you pink this week? Share in the comments or Tweet Me

P.S. Want some help on creating your Subject Lines? Let's do this.



No comments:

Post a Comment