Monday 18 November 2013

Tuesday In India: Oh Holy Train, Or Should You Rather Walk?


Some people actually think I was Indian in my past life.

This idea became rather strong when I started taking local Mumbai trains.

I wasn't trying to save money.

I was trying to save precious time.

And you know what I'm taking about if you spend 4 hours daily, commuting between A and B.

Now if you are thinking London's trains are crowded, think again.

In India 'crowded' takes a whole new meaning.



You probably still have your jaw dropped.

It's all right.

It took a bit of time to get mine closed. Well, you can't ride a train like that with an open mouth, can you?

Today I just remember my first time in that moving sandwich trying to see the positive side and thinking - "No wonder you'll rarely meet Indians with traditional western fears of small spaces, big crowds or public traveling.You can't really fear something you must face daily, can you?"

Well, I survived. I became extremely flexible and I can hold my bag on one finger for over an hour now. I also know how to move in group as one breathing organism and actually appreciate wind blowing on my face.

I guess it's always how you perceive the situation and every curse appreciated can become a blessing.

P.S. It's interesting that during 3 months of my daily train journeys in Mumbai, I haven't met a single western buddy. Oh, perhaps it's just a coincidence.Or maybe not. I like to put myself into that special category, you know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment